I have always wanted to know this about the history of Divison I lacrosse but who is the best team of all time in the history of the sport?
Here are the teams with the most Team Titles
- Syracuse (1982,1988, 1989, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009)
- Johns Hopkins (1974, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1987, 2005, 2007)
- Princeton (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001)
- North Carolina (1981, 1982, 1986, 1991, 2016)
- Virginia (1972, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2011)
- Cornell (1971, 1976, 1977)
- Duke (2010, 2013, 2014)
- Maryland (1973, 1975, 2017)
- Denver (2015)
- Loyola (2012)
By the way, it’s also crazy to think that in the history of Division I lacrosse that only 10 teams make up all of the national championships.
Now that we have that established, what team do you think is the best of all time, for me, I only know from 2000 and on by actually seeing them either in person or via the TV. Here are my top 5 ranked national championship teams of all time.
#1: 2009 Syracuse University
- This team was stacked! They had Kenny Nims, Cody Jamieson, Jovan Miller, John Galloway, Joel White, Matt Abbott, Stephen Keogh, Josh Amidon, Sid Smith, Dan Hardy, John Lade and so on. They also had the best comeback in sports NCAA Lacrosse History.
#2: 2017 Maryland University
- Let’s face it, Matt Rambo is one of if not the best attackman all time with one of the best coaches of all time.
#3: 2005 Johns Hopkins University
- With Kyle Harrison, Stephen Berger, Paul Rabil, and Jesse Swartzman at the helm this was the peak of Johns Hopkins lacrosse. Will they ever get back to this level? They haven’t won a title since 2007.
#4: 2014 Duke University
- This Duke team was one of my favorites, it had Jordan Wolf (I played against him in high school, not to brag), Myles Jones as a sophomore and the rest of their high powered offense. There was no denying this team a championship even though I was hoping Notre Dame would’ve been able to win it.
#5: 2000 Syracuse University
- One name, Ryan Powell.